Reboot

Some time ago, I wrote about starting a new adventure* .. I was cryptic at the time because I did not want to 'jinx' the process by talking about it incessantly. My "secret mission" is now revealed for all: I am joining the Peace Corps.

I am assigned to MOROCCO, 13-Sept-05 to 7-Dec-05 with the job responsibility of Small Business Development Advisor. As much as I love all things electronic, a "real" postcard (rather than an "ecard") would be most appreciated (of course, send me an email with your address if you want a postcard from Morocco):

Nam LaMore, Trainee
s/c Corps de la Paix
2 rue Abdou Marouane Essadi
Rabat 10100 MOROCCO

One of the last requests (just like the Rolling Stones, there's never a "last" concert/request) the Peace Corps asked me to forward my Aspiration Statement** and updated Resume. I'm not reposting the resume, it's dull as a doorknob.

This entry represents the last regular entry, as, going forward, this blog evolves into a photoblog, with the occasional entries taken from my journal. Frequency of blog posting depends on access to the Internet via Internet cafes. Wish me luck as I learn French and Arabic!


Me in Philadelphia, in front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art
I am on the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art (think of the movie "Rocky"). Yes, I look tired and sleepy due to the red-eye flight from Los Angeles to Philadelphia (for orientation before flying to Morocco) .. with a bit over two hours of sleep, I just wanted to take a nap.


* posts Start of the Journey Part I & Part II.

** This is the aspiration statement:
Expectations
Though managing expectations has always been a key strategy for success in corporate culture, I am keeping an open mind with regards to my Peace Corps experience. I have spoken with many returning Peace Corps volunteers, and feel prepared to deal with and accept the challenges of living in a different culture. General and specific expectations include:
    • Contribute and improve the lives of people I serve
    • Have an exceptional, life-changing experience
    • Establish life-long friends and contacts
    • Learn about a new culture
    • Communicate about the diversity of the U.S.
    • Return home with stories to share (photos, journal entries, etc)
    • Access to necessary tools and training to successfully complete job
    • Have a safe experience through awareness of local and global current events
    • Stay in periodic communication with Peace Corps team, friends, etc.
    • Project leadership quality and resourcefulness throughout my Peace Corps experience.

Strategies for adapting to a new culture ...
As I prepare for my Peace Corps experience, I have given thoughts on how to adapt to a new culture to avoid home-sickness, culture-bashing, etc. General and specific strategies include:
    • Make use of non-verbal communications and listening skills due to possible language and cultural barriers
    • Understand Muslim culture, specifically do’s and don’ts
    • Stay “grounded” about my identity as an Asian American (“Asian pride” phenomenon)
    • Avoid destructive behaviors when possible, such as bashing of any culture, engaging in sensitive topics, etc.)
    • Attend festivals and celebrations, religious or otherwise
    • Blend in and live modestly to avoid unwanted attention
    • Awareness of immediate surroundings and global happenings

Personal and Professional Goals
Though I plan to return to corporate life (perhaps in the non-profit sector) after my Peace Corps experience, I have entertained the possibility of going back to school for an MBA degree. I suspect that my Peace Corps experience will greatly influence where I work and what I choose to do. As an “Idealist” (“INFP,” according to Jung’s personality profile), I believe the Peace Corps is an opportunity to improve the overall quality of my life, and those I come in contact with.

I am looking forward to two-years of exceptional experience.


tags: .
another point of view ...

Anonymous Anonymous


Have a great adventure -- I have a few friends who have done the Peace Corps, and they all way the same thing: This is the best thing they could have done.
 

Blogger Unknown


I want pictures. NOW!!
Good luck.
Do some good and have some fun
 

Anonymous Anonymous


nice pic, welcome back
 

Blogger frankysbride


Looks like you're having a grand time! Good move!
 

Blogger Unknown


What a great Blug. Its worth to read it.
Thank you!!!
 

speak up!


previous 10 posts:

home/current
[index of posts within each monthly archive]




disclaimer: some rights reserved. trademarks belong to their respective holders. inaccuracies are entirely unintentional. except where noted, this site is under a creative commons license. reuse, redistribution and/or excerpt permitted only with proper credit. linkback permitted without credit. if you find something offensive, then just stop reading. emails directly to me or comments posted here become my property. you have been notified.

the contents of this blog/web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the u.s. government or the peace corps.