Call to Prayer

Mosque in my town, MoroccoMy apartment is on the top-floor of a four-story building. The building is directly across from a HUGE mosque. I didn't even think twice about NOT renting this place, thinking to myself: "How often am I going to have the opportunity to live across from a mosque?"

The muezzin [call to prayer] happens five times daily, lasting just a few minutes each time1: pre-dawn, mid-morning, noon, mid-afternoon and dusk. It's sorta-funny-in-a-you're-not-suppose-to-laugh way when there's a problem with the microphone, or when the iman [man who does the calls] coughs or clears his throat into the microphone during the muezzin. I had considered getting a wallclock for my home, but the calls are so precise that it's not necessary to get one; the 4:30am2 call is great when I need to get up early to catch transportation out of my site!

As of today, the Fifth Anniversary of the Attack on the World Trade Center, September 11, 2001, I have heard the call to prayer more than 1800 times!

Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar
[Allah is most great, Allah is most great]

Ash-hadu anna la- Illaha Il-Allah
[I bear witness that there is no other object of worship except Allah]

Ash-hadu anna Muhammad-an-rasoolullah
[I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah]

Hayya alass-salah
[Come to prayer]

Hayya Alal Falah
[Come to success]

Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar
[Allah is most great, Allah is most great]

La-ilaha il-Allah
[There is no other object of worship except Allah]

1. The call is a capella, but sometimes, I turn up the music on my laptop computer to add to it.
2. From my perch on the roof, I can see some of my neighbors going to the mosque. I can say with conviction that I don'tjudge those who do not go to pray; they are still good Muslims to me!
tags: ..
another point of view ...

Blogger Barbara aka Yooni


just dropping by to say hello! btw....how did you get the colorful gmail for your email link? i want one =)
 

Blogger cory


footnote 1 is about the funniest thing i've ever read. i live next to a mosque also, and i live in terror of them hearing my bollywood movies through the wall. good for you with the cultural synthesis!!!
 

Blogger Nam LaMore


BARBARA: thanks for dropping by .. as for the gmail banner, it's a customized banner - but i forget the site name where I got it (but it's not from Google's site!). there's a site that will generate email banners for google, yahoo, and msn/hotmail. i'll try to look it up and email the site to you.

CORY: yeah, i've heard that you share a common wall with the mosque -- that is an experience that is over the top!
 

Anonymous Anonymous


Hello. Your blog looks very professional. I am from Turkey. Nice to meet you...
 

Anonymous Anonymous


Hello Nam.
How are you.
You know I also live close to a mosque. I have been living there for 4 years and I used to. And now when I hear the voice from mosque i can say what time is is without looking on watch. :)
 

speak up!


previous 10 posts:

home/current
[index of posts within each monthly archive]




disclaimer: some rights reserved. trademarks belong to their respective holders. inaccuracies are entirely unintentional. except where noted, this site is under a creative commons license. reuse, redistribution and/or excerpt permitted only with proper credit. linkback permitted without credit. if you find something offensive, then just stop reading. emails directly to me or comments posted here become my property. you have been notified.

the contents of this blog/web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the u.s. government or the peace corps.